Did you know….
- College textbooks contain 16-percent academic vocabulary such as: aggregate, conducive, institutional, append, negate, scheme, concurrent, convey, notion, intrinsically, and many more.
- If a student doesn’t understand at least 98-percent of the words in a textbook, she or he will struggle with comprehension when reading independently.
- Extra time it takes to look up words in a dictionary impacts your academic performance.
TRiO has found a way to assist in reducing these challenges! By using tools and resources such as electronic reading pens (which reads vocabulary terms and provides a quick definition in a matter of seconds), electronic translators (which translates vocabulary to your native language) trained tutors that are able to break down key concepts, academic vocabulary center talk-times, advising, second language study tips, and language celebration events.
Helpful Online Language Resources
- Bellevue College Writing Center
- Advanced English Lessons
- Dave’s ESL Café
- ESL Partyland
- Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab
- Self-Study ESL Quizzes
- Voice of America Special English
For more information, contact Ron Holland phone: 425-564-4162, email: firstname.lastname@example.org