You will enjoy your time abroad more fully if you get to know the customs and culture of your chosen country before you go.
Spend some time reading or searching the internet. Talk to someone who has been to the country you’ll stay in. Learn basic phrases in the native language to help you communicate.
We also recommend that you familiarize yourself with current travel information for your local area as well as general travel safety tips.
Plane Ticket Websites
- Center For Disease Control www.cdc.gov/travel
- UW Travel Medicine Clinic www.healthyu.org/living/documents/travel_clinic.htm
- US State Department Travel Information www.travel.state.gov/travel
- CIA country Fact Sheets www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators www.nafsa.org
Students with Disabilities
- Mobility International USA www.miusa.org/
Travel Guidebooks & Websites
- Lonely Planet Travel Guide http://www.lonelyplanet.com/
- Rick Steves’ Europe Through the Back Door www.ricksteves.com/home.htm
- Fodor’s www.fodors.com/
- Rick Steves’ European Travel Center www.ricksteves.com/welcome/home.htm
Links by Program Location
- Art Guide to Florence www.mega.it/eng/egui/hogui.htm