If you walk around campus this week, you’re bound to run into lots of excited students. That’s because our spring commencement ceremony is coming up this Friday, June 15, at 7 p.m., where hundreds of family, friends, college faculty and staff will fill the gymnasium to cheer on the class of 2012 as they walk across the stage to receive their hard-earned degree, certificate or diploma. Shiv Batra, a successful Eastside engineer, business owner and BC Foundation board member, will give the keynote address.
Although all tickets to the ceremony are spoken for, you can watch the event live on BC’s College Channel (Comcast Cable Channel 28) or over the web at collegechannel.tv/livestream.html.
We’ve pulled together some stats about the Class of 2012:
- In all, about 2,600 students will receive a bachelor’s or associate degree, certificate, or high school diploma (the exact number will not be known until all grades are posted and degree applications received).
- This is the fourth class at BC where students have received bachelor’s degrees. Sixty-six students will receive four-year degrees in either Interior Design or Radiation and Imaging Sciences.
- More than two-thirds of the class will receive associate degrees that enable them to transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue their bachelor’s degree. BC is the source of more transfer students than any other community college in the state.
- The youngest student in this year’s graduating class is 15; the oldest is 71.
- A remarkable 36 students will graduate with perfect 4.0 grade point averages; 450 students earned high distinction for earning a 3.75 GPA or higher, with 421 more students earning distinction (3.5 to 3.74 GPA).
As you can see, the Class of 2012 is remarkable in so many ways. Congratulations to all our grads for their impressive accomplishments!