Career Center Blog
Washington Opportunity Scholarship
The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship helps low and middle-income Washington State residents earn first bachelor’s degrees. Over 700 scholarships will be awarded to new students who will be college freshmen, sophomores or juniors in the 2013-14 academic year. These students will receive $1,000 renewable scholarship each year to help in their pursuit of four-year degrees in the following eligible high demand programs of study: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) or Health Care.
When students have completed enough credits to reach junior class standing (at least 90) and have submitted verification that they have been admitted into an approved high demand major as determined for 2013-14, their scholarship will be increased to $5000.
The application for the 2013-2014 academic year is now available.
The minimum eligibility criteria to apply as stated in the legislation governing this program are:
- Student must receive (or have received) a high school diploma or GED from a Washington high school or institution
- Student must be a Washington state resident (as defined in RCW 28B.15.012)
- Student must show intent of completing a bachelor’s degree from an eligible Washington State college or university
- Student may first enroll at a community or technical college before later transferring to a four-year college or university
- Student must enroll each year in an eligible high employer demand program of study. Eligible programs of study are approved each year by the Washington State Opportunity Scholarship Board of Directors.
- Student must submit each year the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the application deadline
- Student’s family income must be less than or equal to 125% of Washington state median family income (e.g. for the 2012-13 application, the family income for a student with a family size of 4 had to be $102,200 or less to apply. – a new chart with income and family sizes will be available when the 2013-14 program is available)