Curator of Craft
Position Type: Full-time Job
Employer: Bellevue Arts Museum
Compensation Amount: DOE
Bellevue Arts Museum (BAM) is seeking a Curator of Craft to conceive and coordinate exhibitions that advance the museum’s mission.
Bellevue Arts Museum is a leading destination in the Pacific Northwest to experience art, craft, and design. BAM engages the community through exhibitions, programs, and publications, featuring regional, national, and international artists. The museum is a non-collecting institution. With its unique focus on art, craft, and design, BAM promotes dialogue and understanding of the relevance of craft and design within contemporary culture.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Working under the direction of the Director of Art, Craft, & Design, the Curator of Craft:
- Advances the museum’s mission and goal to become a recognized national voice in the field of craft, through exhibitions, publications, and participation in conferences
- Conducts research, conceptualizes, and develops content for new exhibitions
- Collaborates with other relevant departments within the Museum (Education, Registrar, Marketing and Development) to contribute to the development and execution of exhibitions whether internally organized or on loan.
- Coordinates and manages all aspects of presentation of internally organized or loan exhibitions as assigned, including but not limited to:
- Development of interpretive text, labels, and other didactic components
- Gallery layouts, design, pedestal/furniture selection, paint colors, etc. in concert with preparator
- Checklists and loan requests for internally organized exhibitions in concert with registrar
- Development of exhibition graphics concept in concert with graphic designer
- Oversight of entire project to meet deadlines and goals for quality and budget
- Participates in developing, writing, and managing scholarly publications related to exhibitions
- In strict collaboration with curatorial staff, develops and manages the exhibition schedule and develops and maintains the curatorial departmental budget
- Participates in defining policies, objectives, strategies, and goals within curatorial department
- Manages exhibition proposals submitted to the museum from other organizations. In particular:
- Manages the stages of discussion and decision for each proposal
- In collaboration with curatorial staff, assesses budgets for each exhibition
- Manages exhibitions contracts with other institutions, serving as liaison between BAM and other institutions
- Maintains orderly systems for the management of exhibitions in keeping with standard museum practice, including the maintenance and update of the exhibition calendar, folders for individual exhibitions, the Museum’s complete exhibition history and records, all current exhibition contracts, etc.
- Engages the community and acts as a public liaison for the Museum (offering tours, giving lectures, interacting with other organizations, artists, collectors, donors, students, press, etc.)
- Maintains a current working knowledge of and connection to the field, discipline, and community through community interactions, gallery and studio tours, attendance of local and national events, publications, professional memberships, workshops, and conferences
- Participates in establishing partnerships with regional, national, and international arts organizations
How to Apply
- Go to CONNECT website
- Ater setting up and logging into your CONNECT account, click on the "Search for Jobs and Internships" button and "Bellevue College CONNECT!" from the drop down list.
- Scroll down to the search box and type the position ID for this position into the Keywords box and select "Search".